DC Universe Online goes Free to Play
DC Universe Online, the popular massively multiplayer online role playing game has dropped the subscription-based model and has gone free to play. The game, which is based on characters and locations from DC Comics’ various licenses, will now offer tier based access that is made up of a free access level (for people who want to play the game for free) and two paid levels (premium and legendary) specifically designed for people who are willing to shell out a little bit of money for in-game advantages and extra content.
All of the three access levels give users access to the entire game as well as official game updates and patches. The specific differences between the levels, according to the DC Universe PR:
- Free Access: New players now have access to the base game content in DC Universe Online, including Gotham City, Metropolis, and all current raids and alerts outside of DLC packs. Free Access provides players with the ability to create two characters, join a League and many other benefits. Free level players can also purchase DLC packs, additional character slots, and more in-game.
- Premium Access: Any player who has spent at least $5 USD (including former paid subscribers and new players who have purchased $5 of in-game items) qualifies for the Premium Access level. Premium level players have more benefits available to them than the Free level player, including additional character slots, additional inventory slots, and higher cash limits. DLC packs, additional character slots, and more can be purchased in-game. All previous subscribers are granted Premium Access automatically.
- Legendary Access: Legendary Access provides the most content, features and benefits of the three access levels. Loaded with enhanced features, Legendary Access is available for a $14.99 USD monthly fee (multi-month discounts are available) and includes access to all DLC packs at no cost, more than 16 character slots, over 60 inventory slots, the ability to form Leagues, and many other benefits.
“We are confident that going free-to-play will expand the action combat experience of DC Universe Online by making the game more accessible to every type of player so they can choose to play the game their way,” said John Smedley, President, Sony Online Entertainment. “With a portfolio that includes three successful free-to-play games – EverQuest II: Extended, Free Realms and Star Wars: Clone Wars Adventures – we have extensive knowledge and experience to apply to DCUO and are thrilled to be taking the game free-to-play today.”
Latest posts by Neil Raymundo (see all)
- Dragonball Discross Game to Receive Manga Adaptation - April 6, 2015
- Boruto: Naruto the Movie’s Release Date Confirmed - April 6, 2015
- New Episodes of All Hail King Julien Make Their Way to Netflix - April 5, 2015