Two iconic Studio Ghibli Films, Hayao Miyazaki’s “My Neighbor Totoro” and “Howl’s Moving Castle,” will be released by Disney on Blu-Ray this May, and Toonbarn will be giving away a copy of the Blu-Rays to two lucky readers. You can check out the giveaway mechanics at the bottom of this post, but if you’re not yet familiar with the two films in question (where have you been?), read on:
My Neighbor Totoro is celebrating its 25th Anniversary this year, so the new Blu-Ray release is very timely. The movie follows two siblings, Satsuki and Mei, as they try to adapt to life on the countryside after moving in. They discover that they have a new neighbor, a furry and friendly forest spirit named Totoro. Together with their new supernatural friend, the sisters go on a series of adventures, soaring through the landscape while riding on the winds from Totoro’s mighty roars.
The other release, Howl’s Moving Castle, is a fantasy tale based on the novel by Diana Wynne Jones. The tale follows a hardworking teenager named Sophie, who has been unnaturally aged by a hex. In order to reverse the curse, she must seek out the wizard Howl (voiced by Christian Bale) and his apprentice Markl. Together with Howl, Markl, and the ill-tempered ifrit Calcifer, Sophie will be meeting various creatures and seeing strange lands before she gets her youth back.
Both Howl’s Moving Castle and My Neighbor Totoro will be released in a Blu-Ray/DVD Combo pack, which contains a truckload of bonus content, such as original Japanese storyboards, interview with Pixar animation studios director Pete Docter, and a special look at Hayao Miyazaki’s visit to Pixar’s studios.
The Blu-Ray/DVD Combo packs will retail for $39.99 each, but you, lucky Toonbarn Reader, can win a free copy of either one by doing the following:
To be eligible, YOU MUST COMPLETE ALL FOUR STEPS:
1) Have a ToonBarn.com account (free to sign up! JOIN NOW)
2) Leave a comment below stating which movie you prefer to see (Howl’s Moving Castle or My Neighbor Totoro?) and the reason why (your answer will decide which title you’ll get if you win)
3) “Like” our ToonBarn Facebook page
4) Hit the following “Like” button
Please keep the following in mind:
1. We need at least 10 participants for the giveaway to continue, so invite your friends to this page and ask them to join as well.
2. The winners (we are going to choose two) will be contacted via email, so make sure that the email address you use for registering is valid.
3. Toonbarn will never use your contact info for any purposes outside of the contest/giveaway. If you are that paranoid, you can create a new email address just for Toonbarn, it’s all the same to us. We just need an email address that you have access to.