Woody Woodpecker is back in hybrid direct-to-video live-action feature
Walter Lantz’s classic cartoon bird is back in a new movie. No, it’s not the seemingly shelved Illumination project, it’s instead the live-action/CG hybrid Woody Woodpecker. Directed by Alex Zamm (Inspector Gadget 2, The Little Rascals Save the Day), the new film stars Timothy Omundson (Psych), Thaila Ayala (Rio Heat), Graham Verchere (Fargo) Jordana Largy (Monster Trucks) and Eric Bauza (The SpongeBob Movie: Sponge Out of Water), as the voice of Woody.
Here’s a new trailer for the Universal 1440 Entertainment production:
Woody Woodpecker is back with his signature laugh, wacky antics and wisecracks in this first ever live-action/animated film. Woody must protect his forest home from Lance Walters (Timothy Omundson), who starts building his dream mansion in the forest with his son, Tommy, and fiancée, Vanessa (Thaila Ayala). To make matters worse, he must avoid the clutches of two grizzly poachers. With a series of crazy hijinks to sabotage their plans, Woody proves he’ll stop at nothing to defend his turf. Get ready for big laughs in this hilarious comedy about everyone’s favorite woodpecker!
The film was shot in Vancouver, BC, Canada over the summer of 2016 as a production aimed at the Brazilian market thanks to the character’s enduring popularity. To that end, the film casted local star Thaila Ayala. It was released theatrical in the country in October. The CG animation was produced by the Bulgarian studio Cinemotion.
In North America, Universal Pictures Home Entertainment will release Woody Woodpecker as a direct-to-video title on February 6, 2018. It’ll be available on DVD, download and on-demand.
The DVD and Download versions will include the following bonus features:
• Guess Who? The Evolution of Woody — Woody Woodpecker is one of the world’s most iconic animated characters. In this featurette, we explore how Woody’s look and personality have changed since his introduction in 1940.
• The Making of Woody Woodpecker — Filmmakers and cast discuss why this version of the Woody character is so appealing and how his brand of physical humor translates across audiences.
• Working with Woody — Filmmakers, cast and crew reveal the specific challenges of filming a movie whose main character is CGI.
The Woody Woodpecker character originally debuted in 1940. He’s since been seen in countless theatrical short films and mostly recently starred in the 1999-2002 TV series The New Woody Woodpecker Show.
Latest posts by Takao (see all)
- Woody Woodpecker is back in hybrid direct-to-video live-action feature - December 14, 2017
- Get into the Yu-Gi-Oh! VRAINS in 2018 - December 14, 2017
- DreamWorks set to launch new Rocky and Bullwinkle series - December 10, 2017